I made this the other day and offered it to my son, who politely refused saying he would rather cook up some chips and make a salad.
Once he laid his eyes on this finished meal he decided to take a dish of it for himself…and another. Another hit. Such a delicate and fragrant taste.
VEGAN TOFU, SPICY RICE and BROCCOLI
For preparing Tofu
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot or cornflour
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated or 1 tsp. ground
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
For the 5-Spice Brown Rice
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1 tsp 5-spice powder
For the Steamed Broccoli
- 2 large heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- Himalayan or sea salt
For the Sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup tamari
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornflour
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated or 1 tsp. ground
- 3 tbsp vegan honey (coconut nectar, or agave nectar
- 2 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp. canola oil or peanut oil
- 4-5 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Sesame seeds – toasted, for garnish
- Cut the tofu into cubes. In a shallow bowl, combine the arrowroot/cornflour, tamari and ginger. Whisk until smooth. Add the tofu and toss to coat. Let the tofu marinate for at least half an hour or more.
- While the tofu is marinating, prepare the rice. Rinse the rice with cool water. Add it to a saucepan with 4 cups of water and 1 tsp. 5-spice powder. Stir, cover and cook over medium-high heat. When the water comes to a boil, lower the heat to low and allow the rice to simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. When all the liquid has been absorbed, turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Then uncover and fluff with a fork.
- When the rice has finished cooking, heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat, add the tofu to the frypan and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the tofu from the frypan and set aside. Wipe out the skillet because you’re going to use it again.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and steam the broccoli until it’s tender but still nice and green, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the sesame oil, tamari, arrowroot/cornflour, ginger, honey substitute and hot sauce, if using. Whisk until smooth. Set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add the spring onions and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add the sauce to the frypan and let it cook until it thickens a bit. If it gets too thick, add some water. Add the tofu to the frypan and toss to coat in the sauce and reheat the tofu.
- Garnish the tofu with the toasted sesame seeds and serve with the steamed broccoli and the 5-spice brown rice.
This recipe is adapted from http://www.onegreenplanet.org/author/rhea_parsons
If you are thinking about changing your diet, want to lose weight or just want to clean it up a bit but don’t know where to start – I’m offering a free 20 min one-on-one consultation for everyone for a short time. .
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, we can set up a time that suits us both to have a chat using Skype, phone or over coffee.