Falafels are so easy to make, you don’t need a packet mix or one of those pre-made falafel packets I’ve found in the supermarket (although they are good in an emergency).
I have wonderful memories of wandering down Cleveland St, Sydney, dropping into my favourite Lebanese eating place with a bunch of friends and ordering up BIG – falafels, hummus, strips of garlic lebanese bread and heaps of tabbouli – we did’t try much else really it was just so yummy!
This is a nice light evening meal with some salad, you can always add some hummus as well and if you can find (or make) some flat bread with wheat-free flour its a very filling meal.
There’s usually enough left over for lunch as well.
So here’s my take on Falafels:
- 1 CHOPPED ONION
- 3 CLOVES CHOPPED GARLIC
- FINELY CHOPPED CARROTS (I placed mine in the food processor for a minute – or you can finely grate it)
- 1 400G CAN of DRAINED CHICKPEAS
- 1½ TABLESPOONS TAHINI
- ½ CUP CHOPPED PARSLEY
- 3 Tspns CUMIN
- 2 Tspns CORIANDER
- 1 LEMON – JUICED
- ENOUGH WHEAT-FREE FLOUR (barley, spelt,any sort except rice) TO MAKE THE MIXTURE ‘STICK’ (less than ½ cup)
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
- SAUTE THE ONIONS AND GARLIC IN SOME OLIVE OIL UNTIL SOFT
- PLACE CHICK PEAS AND TAHINI IN FOOD PROCESSOR – THEN MIX IN THE PARSLEY, ONIONS AND GARLIC AND PROCESS UNTIL ALL BLENDED IN
- REMOVE CHICK PEA MIX AND PLACE IN A BOWL
- ADD THE CUMIN, CORIANDER, LEMON JUICE AND CARROTS AND MIX BY HAND WELL
- IT SHOULD BE A PRETTY SOFT MIX BY NOW
- ADD THE WHEAT FREE-FLOUR UNTIL THE MIXTURE MAKES NICE EASILY MOULDED PATTIES
- HEAT IN A SKILLET USING SOME OLIVE OIL UNTIL LIGHTLY BROWN
- DONE – EASY EH 🙂
If you are thinking about changing your diet, want to lose weight or just want to clean it up a bit but don’t know where to start – I’m offering a free 30 min one-on-one consultation for everyone for a short time. .
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, we can set up a time that suits us both to have a chat using skype, phone or over coffee.